Well, here it is. The infamous MoFoSu(rvey), cause it had to been done. I guess take this as an introduction to me, or – at the very least – my food preferences. I’ll get into my whys and whens of Veganism at a later time, I’m sure. I’m also adding a question!
0. So… who’s the cat?
This is Satchmo! Contrary to what jazz enthusiasts might think, she is not actually named after Louis Armstrong, but after a cartoon parakeet named “Satchmo the Trumpeteer”. She is exceptionally good at ricocheting off of things, pooping in the middle of my lunchtime, chasing unattended debris around the apartment LOUDLY, and being the love of my life.
1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
Almond Breeze unsweetened.
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
An orange-blueberry cake with day-glo frosting for my best friend (his brilliant request!), ratatouille (but that’s been on my list forevers and it’s not movie inspired), and something, ANYTHING with pumpkin in it.
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
no marg, just Himalaya curry salt.
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
umm… tried cooking with a clueless boy once. apple streusel muffins turned into Apple-Streusel-Cookiesheet-Blob (with soggy patches!). still good tho. :)
5. Favorite pickled item?
ooh, beets! or pickles! or no no – those pickled turnips you get in falafal. DEFinitely the pickled pink things. NO WAIT – banana peppers.
6. How do you organize your recipes?
ha! most of them are bookmarks, or notepad cut’n’pastes, or stuffed into a makeshift recipe book I made out of a photo album.
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
I’m working on getting a composter set up in my apartment building. also considering just finding a good alley to dig a hole in. :/
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?
egads, oats! for sure. and then… apples. and then… corn on the cob. I’d survive ok.
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
My first stint at veganism was at 16, and I made my first real meal ever – it was a huuuge indian feast for my dad, and he (mr. meat-n-potatoes!) loved it, and the cooking bug bit.
10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
I haven’t had any in so long…. I remember loving Tofutti Vanilla Almond Bark in high school.
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
The Vegetarian Feast by Martha Rose Shulman. It’s full of crazy million-ingredient recipes I never use (not to mention eggs), but it’s good for reference in a pinch.
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
me mum made merlot jam! so yeah, that one. (failing that, blackcurrant)
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
sushi, any kind of dessert, my lentil soup (it’s not pretty but it’s blaaaaazing amazzzing)
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
tofu, no question. It’s so squishy!
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
oatmeal, as early in the morning as possible, while the light outside is still slate grey but getting warmer by the minute, and the coffee’s gurgling and I’ve just rinsed my sprouts and fed the cat….. heaven.
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
cookbooks, cookzines, about 53 kinds of tea.
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
roasted beets, chocolate frosting, cilantro
20. What’s on your grocery list?
chocolate chips and figs
21. Favorite grocery store?
Supermarche PA. It’s a 2-store chain in montreal that’s very greek and VERY cheap and they carry all the health food brands like nobody’s business.
22. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet.
cream puffs. *sniff* (damn you pate-a-choux!)
23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa’s because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
Ummm, I only recently started checking them daily, so I guess the three that really drew me into all this bloggering would be Have Cake Will Travel, Vegan YumYum, and Cheap, Lazy and Hungry
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
fuzzy grapefruit slices, or Lindt’s 70% dark
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
oh, I finally caved and dropped $7 on a new can of maple syrup.
26. What was your favorite food BEFORE becoming veg*n?
chicken shawarma with extra pickly pink turnips. It was like, late-night drunken stupor staple food and kept a body strong through all kinds of mischief. ;)
27. Veganaise or Nayonaise?
28. What is one recipe or ingredient or cooking technique that you’ve become familiar with in the last year that you can’t imagine you ever lived without?
cake-making in all it’s wild and wonderful forms — decoratins, extracts, strange bright colours, plastic toy-toppers, etc etc, I don’t know how I ever thought cakes were hard!
29. What is one typical vegan food/dish that you do not eat?
pre-packaged food, generally. I wouldn’t turn it down, but I never ever buy it. I don’t even know what store-bought cheeze tastes like. and deep-fried stuff scares me.
30. What’s your favourite kind of pie?
I wish I had an exciting answer to the very question that I made up, but… Pumpkin. with a fiery fiery passion. fiery.
yay, finished! now off to start that drawing project I stayed home on saturday night to work on, cos I am pretty lame like that. go tofu! m/>.<m/